Friday, September 25, 2009

Buy the t-shirt, get the decoder ring

Biking to work yesterday, I made my way around the entire security perimeter downtown. In the shadow of a couple of tractor trailers parked sideways across Liberty Avenue, I noticed a young protester about to be confronted by what appeared to be building security from some nearby establishment.

"Let me see that shirt. What does that sign say?" I heard as I inched closer, trying to appear nonchalant. The garment in question was printed in simple block letters, "RESIST" or something like that. The sign read simply "9/11 -- INSIDE JOB" in what looked like street number stickers you affix to your mailbox when you move into a new house. He was alone, I stuck around despite my reservations about his subject matter and tactics. Freak loyalty and all that.

"Aw, man!" the security guy said when he read both slogans. A portly fellow wearing an official-looking black printed t-shirt I didn't bother to read, he approached the protester.

"I gotta get a picture," he announced with a guffaw, handing a digital camera to another guard and putting his arm around the young man with the sign.

I do not know what to make of any of this.

2 comments:

  1. It is all nonsense, so don't try to make sense of it. Not worth it.

    On another topic, thoughts on Oakland last night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not there, but it sounds like they put the boot down pretty hard and fast as far as these things usually go. They went from zero to "less lethal" pretty quickly, yes?

    It's a shame the police were so whipped up they thought that was appropriate behavior. It's a shame the locals are, by and large, very unsympathetic to those caught in the sights and will likely fail to consider the fact that this kind of response is scary no matter who you are or what you believe.

    ReplyDelete